The governance arrangements for Horizons Specialist Academy Trust, as detailed in the Articles of Association, are set out below:
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust has five Members:
Dame Dela Smith
As charitable companies limited by guarantee every Trust has Members who have a similar role to the shareholders of a company limited by shares. They:
- oversee the achievement of the Company's objects (as detailed in the Committees section),
- are the subscribers to the Memorandum and Articles of Association (where they are founding Members)
- may amend the articles of association (the articles include a definition of the trust’s charitable objects and governance structure) subject to any restrictions in the articles or in the trust’s funding agreement or charity law
- have powers to appoint and remove Directors in certain circumstances
- receive the Trust's Annual Accounts (subject to the Companies Act).
Board of Directors
Directors manage the academies on behalf of the Trust, through undertaking the core functions as detailed in the The Governance Handbook - ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction; holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils and the performance management of staff; and overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent. Directors also need to ensure that the Trust complies with charity and company law and operates within the Funding Agreement that has been signed with the Secretary of State.
The Articles of Association state that the Board of Directors shall have the following directors:
- Chief Executive
- Up to 6 Directors appointed by Members
- A minimum of 2 Directors appointed by parents
There is also the facility for the Board of Directors to appoint Co-opted Directors.
OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Trust is seeking to appoint a non-executive Trustee/Director to the Board of Directors. The skill base of the Broad is extremely strong and we are looking to appoint an individual who is a current legal practitioner and has a broad understanding of corporate governance. Additional skills would also be welcome, including considerable experience in operating at a strategic level and change management.
Please contact the Trust's Governance Operations Manager, Alison Ascough (01642 677113) for further information.